WEEKEND REPORTS vs Mounties & Glebe-Burwood

Saturday 14 July 2018


Written by: Keith Topolski

Mounties took full advantage of a run of decisions to defeat Western Suburbs 28-8 and reinforce their premiership credentials.

With second playing third, plenty was on the line for both sides and the opening quarter hour epitomised the focus of each team on defence and shutting down offloads.

The first team to crack was the home side, as Jordan Martin slipped down the short side in the 15thminute off a very short 3-2 overlap to register the opening try for the visiting Mulga.

The opener saw Mounties double down and add their second four minutes later courtesy of a Craig Garvey dart from acting half, the Magpies defence all at sea as Mounties jumped to a 10-0 lead at the quarter mark.

A steady flow of penalties allowed Mounties to extend their lead to a dozen with as many minutes remaining in the first half, Toni Tali registering his fifth try of 2018 against the run of play for Wests four minutes before the break in the face of some less than charitable officiating.

With fans and players alike turning to the clock, Wests took the chance to throw caution to the wind on the last tackle from the restart, Tyson Gamble sending Braden Robson in from 30 metres out to put Wests back within four at the interval. 

The interval seemed to turn the tables for the home side with a slew of early penalties gifting Wests excellent field position, but it was Mounties who broke free in the 48th minute as Corey Horsburgh found himself clear under the posts to put Mounties out by double digits with half an hour remaining on the clock.

Regular transmission soon resumed, both in terms of the officiating and the run of momentum on the field as a consequence, with stoppages favouring Mounties as the visitors swept away down their right-hand side with Ed Murphy putting Mounties out beyond two converted tries with 15 minutes remaining.

With the game out of reach and their energy spent through continuous defensive efforts, Wests couldn’t stay with Mounties as the visitors found another leak in the Magpies’ line, Brendan O’Hagan backing up off a break to grab Mounties’ fifth of the afternoon to secure a 20 point win for the Mulga. 

MOUNTIES 28 (Jordan Martin, Craig Garvey, Corey Horsburgh, Ed Murphy, Brendan O’Hagan tries; Taane Milne 4 from 6) defeated WESTERN SUBURBS 8 (Toni Tali, Braden Robson tries; Tui Lolohea 0 from 2)





Written by: Steve Reeves

It was certainly a beautiful day for a game of rugby league; however the result did not go the way of Wests Magpies who had kept pace with the opposition for major parts of the game.

The first 20 minutes or so was a settling in period with both sides testing out the oppositions defences.  A few penalties were thrown in for good measure which would see both teams gaining good field position; there was a simple question, which team would make the most of their opportunities.

After forcing Burwood Glebe to play the ball dead in their in goal, Wests dropped the ball after receiving a spiralling line drop out.  After winning the scrum wing three quarter Sami Latu charged through the line and after being tackled on Wests 20 metre line, the visitors were penalised for placing a hand on the ball.  The home team took a quick tap and after probing both sides of the field five eight Penani Manumalealii ran through a gap to score alongside the posts.  Half Jesse Marschke made sure of the extras.  Burwood Glebe 6 Wests Magpies 0.

Within minutes, Wests would level the score.  After receiving the ball from the kick off, a Burwood Glebe player threw a bad pass which hit the grass.  Wing three quarter Jesse Allan spotted the loose ball and put his boot to it.  The ball bounced favourably for Allan who picked it up and ran 80 metres to score under the posts.  Kelsey Coakes converted from in front of the uprights.  Burwood Glebe 6 Wests Magpies 6.

Continuing his good form, Magpies fullback Kieran Wyld, after receiving a great ball from second row forward David Minute, ran through the defense, evading several tackles on his way to the home team’s 20 metre line. In an effort to catch Burwood Glebe short, a long cut out pass was thrown but before it reached its mark it was intercepted by Burwood Glebes wing three quarter Sami Latu who sprinted down the side line to score in the western corner.  Jessie Marschke’s kick put his team up 12 points to 6.

Once again, Wests Magpies hit back quickly.  After the home team dropped the ball from the kick off, Wests fed the scrum before half and captain Brendan Waters offloaded the ball to fullback Kieran Wyld who had chimed into the backline.  He darted across the face of the defense and after drawing plenty of attention he gave wing three quarter Brandan Su’a a clear run to the line.  Unfortunately the conversion attempt was waved away.  Burwood Glebe 12 Wests Magpies 10.

This score would have been a fair indication of the contest but after kicking off to restart play, the ball bounced backwards into the arms of the home team’s hooker Jackson Garlick.  With only seconds left in the first half, replacement forward Benjamin Marschke crashed over the line adjacent to the post. Jessie Marschke’s claimed the extras for his brother which put Burwood Glebe up 18 points to Wests Magpies 10.

A few errors crept into Wests Magpies game which allowed Burwood Glebe to score their 4th try of the afternoon.  It came after a Wests player was penalised for stripping the ball.  This was quickly followed by a second penalty which allowed Burwood Glebe to set up their attack right on Wests try line.  After repelling the first few attacks, second row forward George Tsikrikas pushed his way over the line, right under the black dot. Jessie Marschke’s conversion put his side up 24 points to 10.

Wests Magpies kept pushing forward and in the 10th minute they received a relieving penalty.  After four hit ups, half and captain Brendan Waters put in a ground ball which hit the upright before bouncing back to lock forward Luke Williams who had followed the kick through and after collecting the ball he dived over for a crowd pleasing try.  Kelsey Coakes guided the ball between the sticks to reduce Burwood Glebes lead to 24 points to 16.

Unfortunately, the Magpies would not add to their score, whilst Burwood Glebe put on five unanswered tries.  They were scored by centre three quarter Bessie Aufaga-Toomaga, wing three quarter Jordan Topai-Aveai, fullback Tyla Tamou, a second try to Sami Lapa with Malakai Houma rounding things off.  Bessie Aufaga-Toomaga kicked 1 conversion from 2 attempts and Jesse Marschke kicked 5 goals from 7 attempts.  Final score Burwood Glebe 48 Wests Magpies 16.

Wests Magpies.  Tries to Jesse Allan, Brandon Su’a and Luke Williams.  Kelsey Coakes kicked 2 conversions from 3 attempts.

Best for the Magpies.  Brendan Waters, Tom Morrison, Cowen Epere, David Harris, Luke Williams, Va’Enuku Vatuvei & Kieran Wyld.

Burwood Glebe. 2 tries to Sami Latu, 1 try each to Penani Manumalealii, Tyla Tamou, Jordan Topai-Aveai, Malakai Houma, George Tsikrikas & Benjamin Marschke with Bessie Aufaga-Toomaga scoring 1 try and 1 conversion form 2 attempts. Jesse Marschke kicked 5 conversions from 7 attempts.

Best for Burwood Glebe. Jesse Marschke, Penani Manumalealii, Vasili Tsikrikas, George Tsikrikas, Bessie Aufaga-Toomaga, Raymond Lesoa and Jackson Garlick

WEEKEND REPORTS vs Mounties & Glebe-Burwood

Major sponsors

Primary Sponsors